For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. ---Ephesians 6:12


"The age of casual Catholicism is over; the age of heroic Catholicism has begun. We can no longer be Catholics by accident, but instead must be Catholics by CONVICTION." ---Fr. Terrence Henry TOR, Franciscan University of Steubenville

Sunday, September 30, 2007

I Am So DONE With CBS



While I'm out on the road I don't watch much TV; and I don't watch it for the simple reason that I don't keep one in my truck. Because of this there are some shows many people watch that I haven't seen in years, like 60 Minutes on the CBS Network for instance.

Tonight Steve Kroft interviewed Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on 60 Minutes for the simple reason that Justice Thomas has written a new book. I cannot imagine any other reason he would appear on that show and undergo the typical liberal line of questioning, except for something like a book release. I won't bore you with details, except to say that Kroft interrupted his interview to remind us viewers that if another justice with Thomas's point of view lands on the Supreme Court, abortion would likely be outlawed in 40% of the United States (with the overturning of Roe vs. Wade). How nice of Steve Kroft to remind us of that. Good thing he's looking out for his audience. I guess it's up to the rest of us to look out for the unborn.

After the interview Andy Rooney whined at length about state mottoes on license plates. I guess you last as long as Andy has when you never try to tackle something bigger than yourself. Actually that isn't too fair. Andy Rooney was a war correspondent in World War 2, back when it was okay for the US to win wars. And those bold comments about Mel Gibson's The Passion Of The Christ were just that, if not downright foolish. But there is no fool like an old fool (he's 88 years old)--Now he's doing fluff for the liberal Main Stream Media.

Just when I was going to turn off the TV a very interesting show started: Cold Case. Since I remembered police drama being rather entertaining I decided to hang around and watch...much to my chagrin. The show's title is somewhat self-explanatory in that five homicide detectives dig up unsolved cases from long ago and use today's technology and science to solve them. Sounds like a pretty good premise for gripping drama. But tonight's episode was nothing short of Christian bashing.


We learn that a girl found dead at the beginning of the show had a reputation for promiscuity before joining a small Christian group based upon chastity. As the show progresses and clues are found we come to understand that the murderer HAD to be someone from that group. As each one gets interviewed we learn something about that group member that flies in the face of their faith, much to the delight of the detectives who seem to enjoy pointing out their hypocrisy with comments like "Well, that wasn't very Christian of you now was it?"

And as I'm holding my breath waiting for the detectives to ferret out the evil Christian murderer, we are suddenly brought to the realization that all four of the Christian students took part in the murder. They surrounded the poor girl, called her names, and literally threw stones at her until she died, as if this is something Christians do all the time. Seems more like something Muslim fundamentalist students would do under Shari'a Law, but not to CBS. To the creepy eyeball network this lascivious ending was quite fitting and natural.

I have caught CSI shows before in which main characters make Christian bashing comments; and other episodes, too, in which authorities of the church, like nuns or priests, are portrayed as evil doers. Sometimes those shows have Christians who cannot respond to the simplest criticism against their faith (usually due to the script writers own ignorance of scripture, I suppose). Anyway, to me it was the last straw. I hereby proclaim that under no circumstances will I ever watch that hideously secular and anti-Christian network again.

And if the rest of you care to join me in this boycott you are more than welcome. Read a book. Go for a walk. Learn to tell jokes. Play a board game with your family. Get to know your neighbors. Get involved in evening church activities. Take the kids with you. Let them grow socially and spiritually.

9 comments:

The IdeaJuicer said...

I am with you on this one. It was an almost gleeful characterization of the Christian as hypocrite. "See what happens when you join a Christian chastity club," seemed to be the message of the show. The coup de grace (literally) was when they were quoting Deuteronomy before they stoned her. I pray that the people involved with this show will someday come to know the real Jesus, who in an almost identical situation, told the Pharisees, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." (John 8:7 KJV) I certainly won't watch this program again (and CBS doesn't have much else to offer except football). I hope others join us.

Alan Z

Anonymous said...

Right on, Matt.

Someone has said that the only religious bigotry still acceptable in the liberal community is anti-Christian (as least fundamentalist and Catholic), and this is yet one more example.

Paul

Anonymous said...

It's interesting how much worse TV seems after you stop watching for a while.

Peter said...

Agree with you all - just have one challenge - in a world where I need to communicate the love of God to all, there seems a need to understand your enemy - can't boycott everything, just have to be selective.
Blessings to you all from Oxford UK
Shalom,
Peter.

Peter Grynch said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Peter Grynch said...

What you are witnessing is the psychological illness called "projection". The liberal writers realize (at least subconciously) that they themselves are hypocrites so the "project" this character trait on their enemies.

Anonymous said...

I do not watch network TV. I buy good family videos.

Anonymous said...

I haven't watched network TV much since their schedule resembled today's 'Nick At Nite'. This agenda-driven programming is nothing new for CBS who has for years been attempting to change the social landscape. Problem is that I don't see a balance of ideals now.

Anonymous said...

The lack of balance is why I pointed out 60 Minutes along with Cold Case. Originally I was going to write on the latter.

What I left out of my review on Cold Case was a scene where one of the Christian girls was making confessions of a sexual nature to her teacher (the Christian group leader) who asked her to sit with her back to him while he sat at his desk fondling himself. A student walked in and interrupted them.

While I agree that CBS has always pushed an agenda, I don't think it has ever been worse than it is now against Christians.

And don't talk to me about Touched By An Angel. That show portrayed Christianity as make-believe magic with its silly special effects in a seeming attempt to shove Jesus in the immaginary world seperate from our own real world, in my humble opinion.