For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. ---Ephesians 6:12


"The age of casual Catholicism is over; the age of heroic Catholicism has begun. We can no longer be Catholics by accident, but instead must be Catholics by CONVICTION." ---Fr. Terrence Henry TOR, Franciscan University of Steubenville

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Return To 7 Quick Takes Friday

  1. I haven't done this in a while, so I should have much to catch up on...if I can remember all of it.  First, I should direct you to my cat's blog, Truckin' Buster, where you can read the true tales of our recent exploits in Brooklyn, NY, where I was dispatched by my company to pick up a truckload of cheap clothes.  It was rather shocking, to say the least.  Please don't be too put off by the fact that it's written from the cat's point of view.
  2. Last weekend afforded me some extra time while out on the road, so I stopped by my long time friend (partner in crime), Kevin's place near Chicago, where we (Kev, his kids, and I) visited Brookfield Zoo.  And I was lucky to snag a picture of a wandering female peacock with baby (see below).
  3. We also stopped at a Culver's, which is famous (for some reason) for its butter-burgers.  The last time I visited one in Green Bay, WI about 12 years ago, I got a burger with a moldy bun.  This time I found the menu to be much more extensive with creative selections and lots of custard-laden desserts.  Yum.
  4. Recently when I was stranded in Henrietta, NY waiting for the truck to be repaired, I sat in my motel room watching EWTN and an interview with John LaBriola, author of Onward Catholic Soldier, which should be read by every Catholic in these spritually challenging times.  Upon going to his website I found a phone number to call for submitting book orders.  After leaving a message, the author, himself, returned my call and agreed to autograph and personalize two copies of his book, for which I promptly paid.  Both were received in excellent condition and I will start reading my copy very soon.
  5. My diocese is installing a new bishop on the 18th, so I requested time off so I could attend the ceremony at St. Patrick's in Harrisburg.  The only problem is that I just found out today that it's not open to the public, but by invitation only.  And I wasn't invited.  But lots of big-wigs from Philly will be there.  I could watch it on TV, but I don't own one.  Oh well.
  6. HERE is a place you can get a list of the Catholic iPhone apps, which now include iBreviary, which means you've got Liturgy of the Hours delivered right to your iPhone!
  7. Please be sure to visit 7 Quick Takes Friday at Conversion Diary to see Jennifer's own takes along with links to several others.


    Female peacock with baby at Brookfield Zoo

3 comments:

Kevin Gleeson said...

The peacocks look like they're in a vast lush forest!

Matt said...

...when in reality they were trying to hide behind a cheesy charizzo stand and soda cooler.

Roma locuta est said...

The iBreviary app deserves much promotion. The two Italian authors have been hard at work and have recently release a version for the iPad. I have given it an extensive review at

http://causafinitaest.blogspot.com/2010/08/ibreviary.html

Feel free to use this to spread the word on behalf of Fr. Padrini.